What many people don’t realize is that during deadly pandemic influenza outbreaks, it is not the virus itself that kills, but rather the bodies own super-strong immune system response to an unrecognized virus. A strong immune system releases what are known as Cytokine’s when it is attempting to fight a foreign virus or bacteria. However, when too many Cytokine’s are released at once in response to pandemic influenza, like the 1918 H1N1 Spanish Flu or the current Avian H5N1, the body essentially commits suicide by destroying lung tissues. This is why so many people die of pneumonia or suffocate from fluid buildup in the lungs. Two Cytokine’s particularly responsible for the “Cytokine Storm” are known as TNF-a and IL-6.
So you may be saying to yourself…if I want to survive H5N1, I actually want a weak immune system? The answer is NO. What you actually want is a strong immune system that has had TNF-a and IL-6 blocked, thus preventing “Cytokine Storm.” Fortunately, there a number of over the counter medication and some prescription medication that can effectively block TNF-a and IL-6, while still leaving the immune system strong enough to fight off the virus at a more moderate speed. One common prescription drug that blocks TNF-a and IL-6 are common ACE Inhibitors used to treat high blood pressure. These are commonly prescribed as Captopril, Lisinopril, and many others ending in “pril.” If you take any of these for high blood pressure, you may be in a benefitial position if you get H5N1, relatively speaking that is… Fortunately, there are also a number of over the counter vitamins, herbs, and suppliments that also block the bad Cytokine’s. They are as follows:
- Vitamin C – Taken in high doses (1000 mg hourly for 6 hours and then 1000 mg 3 times daily after reporting flu symptoms according to the Health Gazette in a May 11th, 2006, article) can serve as both an antiviral, immune booster, TNF-a blocker, and IL-6 blocker.
- Vitamin D – Taken in high doses (2000 IU to 10,ooo IU per day, consult with your doctor) serves to prevent flu and also inhibits several Cytokines responsible for “Cytokine Storm.”
- Green Tea – One of the most powerful anti-virals available in non-prescription form that blocks TNF-a.
- Vitamin E – Powerful immune system booster that also blocks TNF-a.
- St. John’s Wart – An effective anti-viral that blocks IL-6, which is not blocked by Green Tea or Vitamin E.
- C12 Peptide – An effective natural ACE Inhibitor that not only lowers blood pressure naturally, but also effectively blocks both TNF-a and IL-6.
Taking other flu remedies, such as Echinacea or Elderberry, might actually do more harm than good during a pandemic, because they will boost your body’s ability to produce TNF-a and IL-6 that could contribute to “Cytokine Storm” if you are infected. These remedies work great for seasonal flu, but not for pandemic flu. Of course, you should consult your doctor before taking any of these vitamins, herbs, medications, or supplements, but specifically ask your doctor about boosting your immune system without promoting “Cytokine Storm” during a pandemic.
The information, concepts, or opinions from CatastropheNetwork.org are intended for informational purposes only and must be evaluated by the reader, in consultation with a professional, to ensure viability for their individual situation.